Sunday, April 4, 2010

For the fun of it...

This is an excerpt from my statement of purpose for the study abroad program... it was written in 04 and it seems quite hilarious now...

Moreover, what interests me most is not only the European point of view, but also the American point of view. For Europeans mixed ethnicity always seems to be a bit exotic or even strange. I expect to collect many impressions of diverse lifestyle from this and hope I can later on coalesce them to a more complete world picture.

Of course I want to experience the people in the US - in a society like the German where most of the popular culture like music or fashion comes from the USA I find it important to know where it actually arises from. I am also looking forward to socializing and making new friends who will accompany me into the time after studying. If it is possible, I will take the opportunity and experience some of the unique atmosphere and many-sided landscape of America and do some travelling.

For my studies I expect to not only enhance my language abilities both in English and in Spanish, but to obtain a broader understanding of American literature and culture through taking American Studies courses against the historical and cultural background that only an American university can mirror. My goal is to expand my literary studies, to work on my internationality as well as gaining a greater openess for the world through living in the American culture.


No comments:

Post a Comment